[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Feature Requests-1908191 ] optionally disable direct rendering at runtime

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 5 19:02:34 CET 2008

Feature Requests item #1908191, was opened at 2008-03-05 18:02
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507082&aid=1908191&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I think it might be useful to be able to choose at runtime to use direct rendering (ie, GPU hardware acceleration) or not (ie, CPU software rendering).

Rationale: GPUs are very fast, but transfering images back to the CPU is very slow. When rendering "offline" (eg with pix_write) it might turn out to be faster overall to use software rendering than direct rendering, depending of course on scene complexity.

I don't know if it is possible to implement, but I guess the user interface would take the form of a message to [gemwin] before the "create" message.