[GEM-dev] shall we release?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 14 18:56:34 CEST 2008

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> Does this imply that gem is now working with FLOSS DRI drivers? I have
> not tested it in some time, but the last time I looked (DRI on my radeon
> 9600) having PD crash on closing the gemwin would be the least of the
> problems with using gem with DRI drivers.

i guess it will be the same as with the intel drivers.

the only machine with a radeon card ihave access too (running linux) has
the proprietary ATI drivers installed and they work fine.
afaik, these drivers are now open-sourced, so you should be able to get
decent performance (and stability) with ATI-cards.

> Yes release!!! Will the movie GoSC stuff be in the release?

no.
- it's not cross-platform yet.
- the plugin system doesn't work yet as i would like to have it (the
only available plugin is still hardcoded in the host-sources; the idea
was to make it search the paths for available plugins)
- the only available plugin can only be compiled if you download the
gstreamer sources yourself (the required headers are not included at
least under debian and ubuntu)
- i don't want to wait for yet another feature

mfga.sdr