[GEM-dev] Timing and PD....

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 31 13:06:21 CET 2008

cyrille henry wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>> iirc, my goal was rather to be in sync with the gemchain.
>> so if you send an "open" message to [pix_image] you should be
>> guaranteed, that in the next render cycle the image is loaded.
>> the object might block this render cycle untill it has finished loading
>> the image.
>> i think this is better than adding another outlet.
>>

> i think nothing should block the render cycle.
>
> currently, loading images is done on an other thread, but there is still a small time where rendering is stop. this mean that i need to load all media before the beginning of a performance.

i'm not sure.
i think i agree with miller that everything should be strictly
deterministic (the problem ben is describing is a problem because some
things are non-deterministic).

obviously this does not solve your problem, but do not despair!
i think it should be handled outside of the render-chain, e.g. by using
[pix_buffer] (which could have threaded - bang-terminated - loading as well)

mgfasdr