[GEM-dev] Timing and PD....

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 31 14:58:37 CET 2008

cyrille henry wrote:

>> i'm not sure.
>> i think i agree with miller that everything should be strictly
>> deterministic (the problem ben is describing is a problem because some
>> things are non-deterministic).

> yes, i do strongly agree with this.

> but some things can simply not be made in realtime. So it need to be
> done on an other thread. and a synchronization mechanism must be provide
> (a bang when finished).

yes, totally.
i only wanted to stress, that these things should be clearly separated.
so we have a fully deterministic render-chain and a not-so-deterministic
but threaded(!) process providing data for the render chain.
this process must provide interfaces to (re)obtain deterministic behaviour.

fmg.asdr
IOhannes

PS: sorry for the blabla above, i was just writing a submission for a
piece and was not able to switch languages so fast :-)