[GEM-dev] V4L2

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 26 10:17:30 CET 2009

John Harrison wrote:
> I just tried on 32 bit Intrepid and couldn't get this to work. I get

are you using the Pd-extended builds or did you build Gem yourself?

afaik, Pd-extended does not link against libv4l, thus you do not enjoy
it's pleasures.
simply do
% ldd Gem.pd_linux | grep -i v4l

> VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
>
> I could not find libv4l in the ubuntu repos but have libv4l-0 installed.

this is the same. it is just a naming issue, which you will find often
in Debian/Ubuntu, supposedly to get around the issue of API-changes (and
being able to install several different API-versions of a single library
at the same time)

if you compile Gem yourself, you will also want to install the
development-headers of libv4l (libv4l-dev) before running configure.

finally: afaik, you can force an application built without libv4l to use
it by employing some pre-linker magic.
("LD_PRELOAD_LIB=/usr/lib/libv4l.so pd -lib Gem" or the like) - please
see the README.txt that comes with libv4l for instructions.

fgmasdr