[GEM-dev] pix_record issues with WinXp and Vista

John Harrison johnharrisonwsu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:54:51 CET 2009

We are in the midst of our Pd/Gem module for our class and Gem is performing
nicely on the students' varied OSes and machines. Our only real problem we
have run into is that pix_record seems to be giving us some troubles on the
WinXP and Vista machines.

The results are not completely consistent amongst the machines but in
general we especially have troubles trying to record especially from
webcams. When trying to record from webcams we see messages in the Pd
console like:
recordQT: movie dimensions changed prev 320x61486 now 320x240 stopping
recording
error: recordQT : EndMediaEdits failed with error -2008

Some machines cannot record from the webcam but can record from other
sources, such as pix_sig2pix. Some even fail with pix_sig2pix but do succeed
in recording from pix_film as is done in the pix_record example patch
included with Gem.

Using the attached patch, a typical failure of pix_sig2pix looks like:
recordQT: movie dimensions changed prev 0x0 now 640x480 stopping recording
error: recordQT : EndMediaEdits failed with error -2008

This is with GEM ver 0.91-cvs compiled Apr 12, 2008, part of the latest
Pd-extended 0-40.3 release for Windows. All the tested machines have the
latest version of Quicktime (v7.6) installed.

Thanks.

-John