[GEM-dev] Memory usage on Linux

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Feb 18 22:12:32 CET 2009

Hey all,

I'm finally starting to get up my memory use.

My patch now crashes when the machine gets up to 3GB (out of 4GB).

I suppose this is due to the fact that this is a 32bit lenny machine,
not 64bit.

I'm running a custom kernel with the following related flags:

# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

free reports 4GB available (4148912 total).

This is the first time I've gotten to the 3GB barrier.

Is the only way to get access to all 4GB by installing a 64bit system?
(Is it possible to "upgrade" from 32bit lenny to 64bit lenny?)

Thanks for your help,
B. Bogart