[GEM-dev] gem and init to 0

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 9 14:45:01 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So it seems that gem objects are initing everything to zero, things like
> colorRGB and translateXYZ don't work if you specify less than three
> values.  It seems to me that those missing values should be set to zero,
> since that is how Pd generally works,

hmm, i would prefer if elements that are used wrongly would not create
at all.

e.g. if you make an object [translateXYZ 0 1] you will get an error
message on the console "[translateXYZ]: needs 0 or 3 arguments".
users should read the console and properly create the objects.
i understand that nobody will have a look at the console everytime an
object has been created.
so they should be guided by some feedback: the best feedback i can
imagine right now would be to fail to create the object.

the alternative would be to provide wrong default arguments. i cal lthem
"wrong" because they will most likely be wrong in most cases. therefore
i prefer to not impose them on the users.

mfg,asdr
IOhannes

[pack 0 ]