[GEM-dev] valid FSAA levels

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 24 18:24:03 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Then what about [FSAA 3(, [FSAA -1(, etc.  I think a warning wouldn't
> hurt, you could add in 5 as  a supported value.
>
> Another option is to have a [antialiasing 0/1( message with just gives a
> default AA level for people who don't want to think about it.

ok, here is a list of valid values with the old nvidia drivers (96.73)

GeForce, GeForce2, Quadro, and Quadro2 Pro
    0                  FSAA disabled
    1                  FSAA disabled
    2                  FSAA disabled
    3                  1.5 x 1.5 Supersampling
    4                  2 x 2 Supersampling
    5                  FSAA disabled
    6                  FSAA disabled
    7                  FSAA disabled

GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 4xx Go, Quadro4 380,550,580
                       XGL, and Quadro4 NVS
    0                  FSAA disabled
    1                  2x Bilinear Multisampling
    2                  2x Quincunx Multisampling
    3                  FSAA disabled
    4                  2 x 2 Supersampling
    5                  FSAA disabled
    6                  FSAA disabled
    7                  FSAA disabled

GeForce3, Quadro DCC, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 4200 Go, and Quadro4
700,750,780,900,980 XGL
    0                  FSAA disabled
    1                  2x Bilinear Multisampling
    2                  2x Quincunx Multisampling
    3                  FSAA disabled
    4                  4x Bilinear Multisampling
    5                  4x Gaussian Multisampling
    6                  2x Bilinear Multisampling by 4x Supersampling
    7                  FSAA disabled

GeForce FX, GeForce 6xxx, GeForce 7xxx, Quadro FX
    0                  FSAA disabled
    1                  2x Bilinear Multisampling
    2                  2x Quincunx Multisampling
    3                  FSAA disabled
    4                  4x Bilinear Multisampling
    5                  4x Gaussian Multisampling
    6                  2x Bilinear Multisampling by 4x Supersampling
    7                  4x Bilinear Multisampling by 4x Supersampling
    8                  4x Bilinear Multisampling by 2x Supersampling
                       (available on GeForce FX and later GPUs; not
                       available on Quadro GPUs)

so which value is invalid (apart from "-1")?

and as cyrille has pointed out, this has changed with newer driver versions.

people who don't want to think about it, should use a settings-tool that
comes with their hardware (e.g. nvidia-settings)

mfg.asdr