[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Feature Requests-2612731 ] glsl_geometry

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 27 09:39:31 CEST 2009

Matthias Neuenhofer wrote:

>>> but before it worked i had to comment out line 173-176 in
>>> glsl_geometry.ccp
>>> got the error "cannot load shader now" didn´t really understand why
>>
>> because you tried to load the shader when no openGL context existed,
>> and glew was not yet initialized. loading of shaders is deferred till
>> rendering really starts, so it probably shouldn't bail out as an error.
> in this case i get "cannot load shader now! deferring till later..." and
> when the rendering starts the shader worked

which is as expected.
i have no changed the "error" (which really is just a hint) message a
bit so that it hopefully is less confusing.
(it now says: "shader bla.geom will be loaded when rendering is turned
on (needs openGL context)")

>> however, initialized glew is crucial for shaders, as we don't know
>> whether the system actually supports openGL-2.0 (or 2.1 for
>> geom-shaders) without it.
>> just uncommenting the checks is a bad idea, if you want to not have
>> crashes on the majority of gfx-cards out there...
> did another try !GLEW_VERSION_2_0 && !GLEW_ARB_geometry_shader4 work ¿?
> GLEW_VERSION_3_0 gives also the error

cool, you have an openGL-3.0 card?

apart from that id don't know whether i can follow your problems here.
what are you trying to achieve with commenting out the 2 conditions?
to not get an error "cannot load shader now! deferrubg till later..."?
i can only repeat: this is no error, it is merely a hint that Gem will
not load the shader instantaneously but rather as soon as possible (when
rendering is turned on).

or does it not work at all? if so, there might be a problem with your
drivers (not reporting extensions they support), glew (not finding out
reported extensions) or Gem (ignoring supported extensions);
check the output of glewinfo (from http://glew.sourceforge.net/).

mfgadsr.
IOhannes