[GEM-dev] uvc webcam (eee pc 900 built in) with pix_video?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 11 09:19:31 CEST 2009

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Gem. IIRC when I was inquiring about this the last time I think the reply
> was that currently v4l2 is not supported well under Gem (although please
> take this with a boulder of salt as this has been a while ago).

this has changed with the advent of libv4l (which is now in debian)

at least here on my eepc 901 the camera works out of the box with Gem
(no special configure tweaks needed)

>> I'm working with an svn copy of GEM updated yesterday. I'm configuring
>> with:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-libv4l1 --with-libv4l2-libs=/usr/lib/
>> --with-libv4l2-includes=/usr/include/

see above: no special switches should be needed (if libv4l is installed)

>> and GEM complains about the camera when I start pix_video (and I get no
>> video image):
>>
>> v4l: VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
>>
>> This device/camera must only have one channel?

yes, but how is Gem supposed to know?
anyhow, it shouldn't really matter, as the driver will either ignore the
  channel-change request or you could set it to "channel 0".

>> I can't tell if I'm using v4l1 or 2. configure tells me v4l: yes not
>> matter if its v4l1 or v4l2 I enable. I also have a vague memory that
>> configure should tell me what v4l its using, like:
>>
>> v4l: yes (libv4l2)

your memory might be correct, but the world moves on and
configure-scripts get updated.

i'll check back on my eee which version of libv4l i'm using.

fgamsdr