[GEM-dev] it it possible to use GPU accelerated h.264 decoding on OS X?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed May 13 00:28:03 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:

> i see. thanks for the explanation. one reason, why i was thinking, that
> gem doesn't use hw acceleration was that the cpu power used is quite
> similar to the ones, when the same file is played by mplayer or vlc. but
> according to what you say, it would probably be still impossible to play
> 1080p with [pix_film] without hw accel.

I made many GEM based art works that played 4 1080 clips and recorded a live
stream to disk all in real time.  I think the problem you are having is the
H.264 codec, which is intended for ultra-low data bandwidth applications.
 Switching to Apple Intermediate or one of the professional codecs
(DVCPRO_HD or ProRes) will improve performance far more than trying to
offload the 100:1 compressed H.264 to the GPU.