[GEM-dev] v4l2 for webcam

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 15 13:51:31 CEST 2009

Jack wrote:
> Hello Iohannes,
>

>> if you want to compile Gem with native libv4l support, make sure that
>> you also have the _development_ packages for libv4l installed
>> ("libv4l-devel" or the like on rpm-based distros)
> Both (libv4l-0 version 0.5.8-1 and libv4l-dev version 0.5.8-1) have been
> installed with synaptic.
> I try apt-get install libv4l-dev, but i get a confirmation that i have
> the most recent version.

oh, i somehow had the impression that you were using fedora.
anyhow, you did as i would have told you :-)

> I don't know if that can help you to understand but the pidip object
> [pdp_v4l2] works fine here.

no, that's unrelated, as pdp does not use libv4l (yet).

>> if you want to just use the LD_PRELOAD hack, then you won't see the
>> "video4linux2" line when starting Gem but it should work anyhow...

> No, i don't want :)

good.

> But if it is the only one solution, i will try it.
> Any Idea ?

i think you might be missing pkg-config ("apt-get install pkg-config"),
which is used by Gem's configure to detect relevant flags for installed
libraries.

if this doesn't help either, you would need to post the entire configure
output.

fgasdmr