[GEM-dev] Problem with textures on Ubuntu

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 24 15:43:14 CEST 2009

Jack wrote:
> There is 512 MB of memory on the GPU.
> All informations are here :
> http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9700M-GTS.9899.0.html
>
> However, there is something very strange if it's about memory because on
> my MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, i have only 256 MB on the GPU
> and all works fine on it (only 2 fps but it is not so slow).
> The size of the images are between 127x108 and 72x123 pixels (so the
> total size at 24bit is near 12 MB ! : 127x108x3x300/1048576 = 11.77 MB).
> Even with 100 images it is slow (but it seems good with 50 images).
> I needn't to create my Gemwin and turn on rendering to have this problem.
> I give you the main patch and the abstraction here.
> Thanx for the help.

hmm, i don't have any problems here with loading 300 images (and i
replaced monimage*.jpg with the famous fractal.JPG which is 256x256 pixels)

however, i do have a "GeForce 7800 GTX".

anyhow, what comes to my mind is, that on linux, images are usually
loaded in a separate thread (one thread for each [pix_image]!) - thus
you will create 300 threads (which is not that much; but the only thing
i can think of). you can turn off the threaded loading by sending a
[thread 0( message to [pix_image] (e.g. at [initbang] time)
you probably have to load the image _after_ you have turned off
threaded-loading, so use something like

[i $1]

[thread 0, open images/monimage$1.jpg(

gfmasdr