[GEM-dev] Intel success story

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 28 00:34:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

it's probably time to celebrate!  For the first time in nearly two years I've
been able to get a version of Gem running without any crashes on window close
*and* with an actual rendering on a Mesa/DRI-enabled fully open source Intel
Linux system. Die Zeit heilt alle Wunden.

This is with a bleeding edge Debian unstable system with UXA, GEM (the other)
and KMS enabled (2.6.30 kernel), and similarily bleeding edge hardware: my new
powersaving battery lifetime wonder (almost 8h!) travel system Acer Timeline
3810T SU3500 CULV single core with some Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipse
inside.

The Gem running is the svn snapshot from today, Pd is 0.42 from Miller's site
with tcl/tk 8.5. Interestingly the Debian supplied Pd/Gem in unstable crashes
as soon as I even open any Gem patch in GLclearColor or so (don't remember).

I don't need to use any GL_SINGLE_CONTEXT environment stuff, just fire up pd
-lib Gem and all is well.

I should have come to Brazil and treat you to some beer thing, but you'll get one
at a later occasion!

Thanks a lot for whatever you did. :)

Ciao
--