[GEM-dev] Playing HDV video with frame accurate seeking on Linux

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Aug 25 02:06:41 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I'm doing a new version of "Step and Repeat" and want to do the video in HD.

I'm already shot HDV footage, which plays very well in mplayer, but not
so well in Gem.

I need to do frame seeking, so I've taken my original HDV (m2t) video
and converted into a large mpeg2 with 1 frame GOPs and loading the TOC.

Everything plays fine, but the playback is extremely slow.

What are the best options for HDV playback on linux?

I could lower the resolution, and load all frames into a pix_buffer.

I could lower the resolution and just play the file.

Looks like there is no "RAM" message to load the whole file into RAM and
playing from RAM on linux?

The target machine is a AMD dualcore 4500+ (or something close).

Any advice appreciated.

Anyone know if you can do frame-accurate mpg seeking in mplayer?

Thanks,
B.