[GEM-dev] Playing HDV video with frame accurate seeking on Linux

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 26 19:47:51 CEST 2009

Hi Winfried,

Your case seems to fit very well with what I've been doing.

Mind giving me the tech details you used to encode the video? Was ffmpeg
used to encode it? What codec, GOP, container settings?

All my results using mjpeg are giving me files with the same size, and
same decoding CPU as my mpg with all iframes.

The only way I've been able to keep the quality, and lower cpu usage,
has been to decrease resolution.

I'm seeing almost no disk IO usage in this case, so I could stand a lot
to see that part increase.

I managed to encode a 13GB MJLS video in ffmpeg, but Gem (not even
mplayer) read it.

So far I'm stuck with a 1024x768 or 800x600 video. :\ too bad.

I just tried a huffyuv stream, and man does the colour look a lot nicer
than the mjpeg. Gem does load it, but its a little slow. I guess I'll
try a 1280x960 version.

Remember even software RAID systems make dist access much faster. Its a
simple matter to make a RAID0 array from multiple disks to solve the IO
issue.

.b.