[GEM-dev] gem 64-bit?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:08:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> 64-bit Gem on Mac OS X could drop Quicktime/Carbon in favor of gstreamer
> and/or gmerlin which I believe is already implemented on GNU/Linux.

That would throw away the advantages of QT on OSX, and I would probably no
longer use GEM if that happened.

> Then its just window management, which doesn't seem so huge, but I haven't
> done it before.

It would require interfacing the C++ code with Objective-C.  It is possible,
but fairly masochistic.

> Am I right in assuming that Gem could really benefit by 64-bit because it
> would allow it to use more than 4 gigs of RAM?

I cannot recall anyone ever saying they hit this limit.  Even the massive
projects I did using many HD clips and capture never got close to this.