[GEM-dev] [PD] [GEM] pix_external makefile?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 16 09:34:22 CEST 2009

Jaime Oliver wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a makefile for a pix_external somewhere?
> OR
> could someone give me some pointers on how to make one?

interesting coincidence, as i had in mind to do something like that in
the last few days.

the reason is, that i would like to move out some of the objects that
pull in external dependencies (like [pix_artoolkit]).
these "extra" objects (which are technically externals for Gem), live in
Gem/src/extra/

just yesterday i submitted the M$VC project for building [pix_artoolkit]
as a single object external.
there should be a simple autoconf based build system as well, which
might work for you just fine.

(after doing a quick check, i think it won't work as i stripped down the
configure to the bare essentials)

i'm currently looking for a non-existing Gem-object without any
dependencies that could be included as a skeleton for new objects
(mainly focusing on the build-system).

> I am looking for something I can put in a folder with the .cpp and .h
> files and run make...
>
> I suppose I would have to link to GEM somehow...

just like you have to link against Pd...usually you don't :-)

> So far, I can only think of the output of compiling gem pix_ in osx
> and start from there:

i would recommend looking at pix_opencv

if you external does not have any dependencies, would you consider
adding it as an example to the Gem/extra section?
in this case, it ought to be GPL.

fgmasdr