[GEM-dev] gem fails on 10.4

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 25 09:36:53 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I definitely did not change the headers, and since they are in
> /System/Library, that means no package installs, that's only for stuff
> that comes from Apple.  Whether they are 'wrong' or not is then a
> question for Apple.  And we mostly likely have to deal with a workaround
> :)  Sounds like Apple fixed this in 10.5...

probably.
it's only weird that i have found zero documentation about this.
everything i find would be in accordance to how it was handled in Gem
(and which failed on the build machine).

anyhow,....

> and that's where the compiler text comes in. If you are building on
> 10.4, you'll be bulding with an older version of gcc.  10.5 has a newer
> version.   The easiest way to test that is to test for that build number
> that I quoted you before.

oh no.
i plainly refuse to relate the problems of some header revision to the
version of gcc.
the compiler you are using is the compiler you have installed, not the
one on the DVD you bought to install your operatingsystem.

your test is a good one if you want to test whether you can use a
specific extension of the compiler (e.g. your favourite pragma).
it's a really bad one to test for the capabilities of a library.
e.g. we don't use __APPLE_CC__ to detect whether the target system is
running OSX (just like we don't use __GNUC__ to detect whether the
target system is linux.
we also don't use the __APPLE_CC__ version number to test which
architecture the target has (e.g. because older versions of OSX only ran
on ppc whereas the latest and greatest only runs on little endian archs)

i guess you get what i want to say :-)

fgmasdr
IOhannes

PS: the crucial part of my email started with "in the meantime".