[GEM-dev] setting -mmacosx-version-min to 10.4

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 7 09:32:26 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2009, at 4:51 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> I just noticed while looking into the -fno-common thing that Gem is
>>> compiling on Mac OS X using -mmacosx-version-min=10.3  AFAIK, Gem hasn't
>>> built on 10.3 in years.  From my experience, there are less deployment
>>
>> do you mean "hasn't built" or "hasn't been built"?
>> if the former, are the problems fixable.

here the last period was meant to be a question mark.

>> if the latter, it doesn't matter.
>
> Well, I think the former is the problem, and if you can't built it on
> 10.3, then you won't be using 10.3 builds.

this i don't understand.
if nobody has built on 10.3 for ages, than this is one thing. i have not
much feedback about the OSX versions people are actually using.
it's been a long time since the last person complained about not being
ableto run Gem on 10.3. this might have two reasons:
- no Gem user uses 10.3 any more
- Gem does work on 10.3
- something else

then: i thought the "-mmacosx-version-min=10.3" kind of ensures that the
build will run on 10.3 even if you are building on 10.5.
is this a misconception on my side?
if not, this means that even if you can't build on 10.3, people might
still be using 10.3 builds.

i (think that i) don't have access to a 10.3 machine, so i cannot really
test.
but i would like to not change anything because of mere speculations.

>>> issues if things are built for the most recent supported version (i.e.
>>> 10.4).
>>
>> which "issues"?
>

> Like newer OSes included freetype, which Gem will link against unless
> forced not to.

that should read "OSXes" rather than "OSes", right?

anyhow:

i didn't know that freetype was included in OSX since 10.4 (or 10.5, if
that matters)

if Gem still runs on 10.3, i would like to keep it like that.

the official binaries are linking statically against ftgl/freetype, so
the deployment issue is not a big deal.

for PdX builds, you could change the osx-min-version.

a command line argument to ./configure to specify an alternative
"osx-min-version" would be a good idea.

fg,asdr