[GEM-dev] gmerlin problem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 22 09:15:40 CET 2010

On 2010-03-18 23:42, Jack wrote:
> i'm trying to install libgmerlin-avdec-dev on ubuntu 9.10 but i have a
> problem.
> This is the first time i try to install it. I would like to use it with
> GEM 0.92.3.
>
> Here what i did :
> I installed debian-multimedia-keyring (with
> debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb) then add deb
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main (for repository sources).
>
> So i select libgmerlin-avdec-dev and try to install from Synaptic but i
> get :
> libgmerlin-avdec-dev:
>  Dépend : libgmerlin-avdec0 mais ne doit pas être installé

btw, a cool trick to report output on systems with "foreign" languages
is to force your system to output in english.

this can be done quite simply on the console, by setting the environment
variable "LANG" to "C".

$ LANG=C aptitude install libgmerlin-avdec0

or

$ LANG=C synaptics

this avoids the problem of having to translate messages _back_ to
english, which often results in not-identical phrasing, which makes
finding the problem more complicated.

mfgaser
IOhannes

PS: as for the problem itself, i cannot offer any help here. since
romans packages are reasonably recent and made explicitely for ubuntu,
what is wrong with them?

PPS: ubuntu sucks anyhow :-)