[GEM-dev] solve Re: pb compiling svn

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 1 14:53:34 CEST 2010

cyrille henry wrote:
> hello,
>
> i install a ubuntu 10.04 on a 2nd HD to test.
> gem compile fine : i did not noticed dependency problem.

yes, because of the new plugin system, dependencies are handled a bit
more gracefully (that is: you won't notice until runtime...whether this
is good or not, is to be found out)

> i however have noticed that ./configure is lot's longer than what it use
> to be, and output is not very clear : i was not able to know wich

yes, each plugins runs it's own configure, soit takes way longer.
running "./configure --cache-file=config.cache" should speed things up.

> plugins was ok to compile, and wich was not.

yes, hopefully i will add some feedback at the end of configure again,
so you can see what has been found..

> there is also 1 problem with sudo make install : it did not install
> plugins.
> (just create a *.so broken link)
> manually linking to /usr/local/lib/pd.... did not work for me, i had to
> link the plugins in the Gem/src folder start pd with this location for Gem.

ok.
in my first simple tests it worked (symbolic links were resolved with
"install"), but there might (well, obivously: are) still some issues.

> i was not able to find a place where all Gem dependency where listed. it
> would be nice to have such list somwhere.

eventually i will compile this list....
it didn't change a bit since 0.92 though.

suggested:
libgl-dev libglu-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
ftgl-dev
libmagick++-dev
libv4l-dev
libgmerlin-avdec-dev libquicktime-dev

optional (could be used (e.g. instead of the above), but i are often not
installed on my machines)
libavifile-0.7-dev libmpeg3-dev
libdv-dev (however, grabbing doesn't work with the new juju firewire stack)

mfgasdr
IOhannes