[GEM-dev] shipping Gem as libdir

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat May 8 02:53:19 CEST 2010

IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> why does it has to be called "manual"?
>> shouldn't this "manual" path be (manually) settable via the -meta file?
>
>>> "manual" is a pretty clear, widely used term for "long-form written
>>> documentation of a particular piece of project".. Why make it settable?
>>> That just adds complexity for no advantage that I can see.
>
> whereas "doc" could mean anything from MD to word :-)
>
>> and what is offered by Pd if it was indeed called "manual"?
>> i suggest to add all the libdirs to the docbrowser.
>> (and introduce libdir versions...)
>
>>> I guess you haven't tried the Help Browser in recent Pd-extended builds,
>>> this is implemented, and will be folded into pd-gui-rewrite/0.43
>
> true i haven't tried it. that's why i'm asking.
> i'm currently travelling and would rather not have to download PdX.
>
> so does it do anything special about the keyword "manual"? or will it
> directly show all the libdir-directories in the help-browser, so a
> package could ship with "docs" and "exemples" and even "beispiele" and
> still be browseable from within the help-browser?
>
> this makes most sense to me, as it is surely most robust against the odd
> developer... (i'd prefer a system that allows for oddities and still
> provides a somewhat uniform user experience, rather than
> imposing/enforcing so called "standards")

It just shows what's in the directory.  But you highlight a good reason
to have standardized names: internationalization.  It would be pretty
easy to have 'examples' and 'manual' translated in the Help Browser,
even tho the folder is called 'examples' etc. on the file system.  A lot
of OS's are doing it like this these days for common folders like
Desktop, Documents, etc.