[GEM-dev] [pix_video]: how to free the device?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 17 13:56:48 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-17 13:12, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> IOhannes m zmoelnig escribió:
>
>> the pix_videoDS shall go away asap.
>>
>> PS. and be replaced by a videoDS backend, thus making all the interface
>> the same on all platforms.
>
> And the common interface should probably be the one currently adopted by
> pix_videoDS which is superior to the one currently adopted by pix_video
> on Mac and Linux in that:

i'm not so aware of superiorness.

> 1) "open <ndevice>" and "close <ndevice>" is better than "device
> <ndevice>" since it allows you to close a device without opening another
> one

otoh, "close <ndevice>" is clearly faulty, as it allows you to close a
device that is not even open...
as written in before "i have added an open/close" message now for the
new [pix_video] implementation, neither of which (currently) takes any
arguments.

> 2) it accepts a float (1/0) to enable/disable pix_video, i.e. turn it
> on/off which is not the same as opening/closing the device

nevertheless, the exact naming of the methods is the least of my worries
now. it's way more important to get videoDS work at all...

rtmas