[GEM-dev] buffer objects for .obj and fonts would be good

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 2 10:54:30 CEST 2010

sebastian pirch wrote:
> hi IOhannes and gem-dev list!
> i run into a brickwall when using many (> 30) text3d objects.
> i get the error message 'cant load font file /...' and 'to many open files'
> wich causes the system to freeze. i  guess it's because text3d loads the whole fontfile for every object and therefor fills my ram with fonts. so it would be more than nice to have the ability to acces fonts in a way like pix_buffer does for images. same for .obj files and sequences.
> wish you beautiful summer days...

cannot reproduce.

i would recommend to
a) report more details (OS, Gem version)
b) to switch to a decent OS (there is a known issue on w32 which leaks
file-handles; the problem is due to microsoft's security model and Pd's
API: if one library (pd.dll) opens a file (which is done because Gem
uses Pd's search patch feature), the file-handle MUST be closed in the
same library (thus Gem cannot close the file; only Pd could, but Pd has
no API for this)

fgmards