[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3046269 ] rectangle inlets/args set HALF width and height

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 22 20:12:38 CEST 2010

Bugs item #3046269, was opened at 2010-08-16 15:16
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by zmoelnig
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3046269&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: documentation
Group: any operating system

Initial Comment:
Either the description in the help patch or the behaviour of [rectangle] is wrong:

inlet 2: float: width (default to 1)  <-- should say "half width"
inlet 3: float: height (default to 1)  <-- should say "half height"

The rectangle's width and height are actually TWICE the numbers set with the inlets or arguments

Date: 2010-08-22 20:12

Message:
matju, i admire the canadian school systems, where kids in elementary
school learn words like "apothema".

since i expect some austrian users who have skipped their highschool math
as well, i would prefer to not resort to such complicated words.

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Date: 2010-08-16 16:56

Message:
what i learned in elementary school is that the "radius" of a regular
polygon is the distance from centre to a vertex, as in [polygon], whereas
the "apothema" of a regular polygon is the distance from centre to a
mid-edge, like [square]. thus, in polar, r(a) a function whose minima are
called apothema and maxima are called radius. similar concepts can apply to
rectangles and such.

i would natually use words "half-width" and "half-height" for [rectangle]
and [square], but to refer to them collectively, i definitely would choose
the word "apothema" over the word "radius" (the latter should refer to the
half-diagonal instead).

--matju

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2010-08-16 15:57

Message:
Yes I guessed the behaviour was the expected one.
It's true that this apply to almost all other geos; documentation should
be clearer about that.

I notice in some cases the word "size" is used which can be pretty
ambiguous (what's the size of a cylinde?). For a sphere, I'd rather use the
word "radius" ("size" strongly suggests the diameter)

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2010-08-16 15:24

Message:
this is for design and for legacy reasons.
i have added a note in rectangle-help.pd with rev.3452

note however, that this applies to virtually any Geo in Gem.

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2010-08-16 15:20

Message:
Sorry it was me who submitted the issue; I thought I was logged in.