[GEM-dev] unicap?

kubro bubro kubriel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:27:01 CET 2011

2011/1/24 IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:

> hi,
>
> would it be a problem for you if we moved this thread onto a mailing list?
> i really prefer this way of communication, as it allows more than a
> single person to profit (and help!)
>
> On 2011-01-23 13:55, kubro bubro wrote:
>> sorry, right now i cant offer you money, but ill try to do something
>> with that.. i need to wait for payed project
>>
>> picture is still white.
>> unicap is loaded, but transfer doesnt start, because failed to query format:
>>
> [...]
>> verbose( 1):[pix_video]: starting transfer
>> verbose( 1):failed to query format
>
> oha, it's a bit weird that you cannot even _query_ the format.
> i'm a bit at a loss, as to how to react on this (but fail).
>
> right now, only system buffer support is implemented in Gem, assuming
> the unicap will always provide a "fake" system buffer, if the underlying
> device cannot do so. (i'm not sure about this though).
> but even if i implemented user buffer support, i still would need to
> know which transport is actually used and thus the "query" has to succeed.
>

>> maybe this is normal, but im not able to set properties:
>> directly setting menu-value to 'Composite 1' (please report if this works!)
>> verbose( 1):could not set property 'source'
>

> unfortunately i cannot test menu-values, as i don't have any device that
> offers a menu-value :-.(
>
> just to make sure: how exactly do you try to set your source?
> i  think it should be something like:
> |...\    (symbolbox)
> |
> [set source $1(
> |
> [pix_video]
>
> and then type "Composite 1" into the symbolbox (this is an easy way to
> create a symbol with spaces)
>

> another way that _should_ work, is
>
> [set source 0(
> |
> [pix_video]
>

> if you can confirm that this (source <int>) works and that (source
> <symbol>) does not, i have an idea how to fix the underlying code)

setting brightnes/contrast properties works, as i can read modified
values after restarting pd, and i see change in picture trough
sdl_display from unicap (i have svn version)
im not able to put space into symbol box, so i tried just [set source
Composite 1( - yes, i know, this is list, but after that pd crashes
with:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Pd: signal 6
pd_gui: pd process exited

and with [set source 2( as before:
directly setting menu-value to 'Composite 2' (please report if this works!)
verbose( 1):could not set property 'source'

i think, this DFG/1394-1 device offers more formats:
Formats[4]:
		UYVY
			FOURCC: UYVY
			size: 768x576x16
			size_count: 3
				320x240
				640x480
				768x576
		YUY2
			FOURCC: YUY2
			size: 768x576x16
			size_count: 3
				320x240
				640x480
				768x576
		Y411
			FOURCC: Y411
			size: 768x576x12
			size_count: 3
				320x240
				640x480
				768x576
		Grey
			FOURCC: Y800
			size: 768x576x8
			size_count: 3
				320x240
				640x480
				768x576

> apart from all that, i found that unicap does not reliably start the
> transfer.
>
> e.g. using my PS3 i have to first set the size with "dimen 640 480" to
> the only support dimension of the device (i'm using the normal kernel
> drivers), since unicap always believes that the only supported size is
> 768x576, but then fails to capture images.
> it is also crucial in which order things are called (e.g. i have to do
> [dimen 640 480( and only then start rendering/capturing/transfer, else i
> don't get an image for the rest of the Pd-session.
> on my eeePC, it is slightly different, but i have to explicitely set the
> device before i can acquire images.

i tried dimen in this order, and lot of combinations, but result was
always the same