[GEM-dev] removing performance killer : was Re: performance question with linux and nvidia

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Tue Jan 25 16:32:29 CET 2011

hello,

i've got answer to this questions.

First : The bottleneck of the test patch i send is the fillrate.

from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillrate
"the importance of the fillrate as a measurement of performance has declined as the bottleneck in graphics applications has shifted."
So this 3 card have about the same fillrate, even if they are 5 years difference between them.
(and jack GPU have a higher fillrate).

about the 2nd question , i found the performance killer.
it's the GL_LIGHT_MODEL_TWO_SIDE option.
when disable, performance are as expected.

since it is recommended for performance reason to disable this option, it's probable that nvidia has no plan to fix this.
So, i think we have to do something in Gem. Changing the default setting is probably not recomended for compatibility reason, even if most of the time diference will be small.

But we have to think of an easy way to disable this.

any idea?
a message to gemwin?

Cyrille