[GEM-dev] [pix_video] osx (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 14 18:56:46 CET 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, chris clepper wrote:

> The messages are different on OSX because devices can and do have
> multiple inputs.  Selecting a 'device' only is not enough information to
> tell the driver of something like a Blackmagic Intensity card so you
> need to add an 'input' message as well.

ah, an "input" method is indeed defined in pix_videoDarwin.cpp, but it is
not mentioned in pix_video-help.pd (of gem 92), and I have no hint that
something is to be done.

This behaviour of "device" is also contrary to [pix_video]'s
construction-time behaviour of "pick the first video stream we can find".

I'm all in favour of a more manual camera control (so that the user
chooses whether to open a camera at all), I'm just pointing out that
"device"/"input" doesn't seem to be very consistent with [pix_video]'s
defaults.

BTW, which devices have several inputs on them, in a way that counts as
"input" here (and not multiple devices) ? I'm curious.