[GEM-dev] videoKINECT plugin for pix_video

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Mar 22 14:26:28 CET 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 4:02 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-03-21 22:28, sonia yuditskaya wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>> if you know how to make a pix_kinect object please do!
>
> please don't. the videoKINECT plugin is the way to go.
>
>> It turns out that on mac there is no driver support for cameras in
>> pix_video, it is all just going through quicktime.
>
> that's mainly a problem with the current build-system of Gem.
> on OSX it still defaults to using [pix_videoDarwin] rather than the
> new
> plugin based approach.
> you _should_ be able to force using plugins with something like
> $ ./configure --with-video=no
>
> apart from the fact that the "no" is quite weird (as you do want
> video,
> you just don't want pix_videoDarwin), i think i also remember that
> this
> for some reasons does not work (e.g. it is ignored), but i might be
> mistaken here as well.
>
> the configure definitely needs some rework to remove the forcing of
> some
> defaults.
>

> all in all, this is a minor issue compared to getting videoKINEXT
> running.
> thanks matthias.

Yes, it would be nice to have [pix_video] work with the Kinect, but
right now the plugins stuff is not fully done yet, and people want to
work with the Kinect now. I tried to get stuff building using the Gem
build system, but I couldn't get it going, so I just made a Makefile
which seems to work.  For one, it seems to depend on automake-1.11,
which is not always easily available.  I see no reason why the Gem
plugins can work for automake-1.9 or even earlier, its not a
complicated build.