[GEM-dev] videoKINECT plugin for pix_video

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Mar 22 17:59:30 CET 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 12:33 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>

> Yes, it would be nice to have [pix_video] work with the Kinect, but
> right now the plugins stuff is not fully done yet, and people want
> to work with the Kinect now. I tried to get stuff building using the
> Gem build system, but I couldn't get it going, so I just made a
> Makefile which seems to work.  For one, it seems to depend on
> automake-1.11, which is not always easily available.  I see no
> reason why the Gem plugins can work for automake-1.9 or even
> earlier, its not a complicated build.
>

> On the Mac and Windows the proper way to do this is to make
> Quicktime components or DirectShow filters so any application can
> use the device.  Writing specific app level code for every random
> video device is a waste of time.

IMHO, writing a specific object is the fastest way to get something
working, and that's worthwhile. Plus much of Quicktime is deprecated
for 64-bit, so that means a nightmare if you want to support both 32-
bit and 64-bit on Mac OS X: you have to write for both Quicktime and
the new API, which isn't even fully defined yet.  I don't know much
about writing DirectShow plugins.

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf