[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3191771 ] pix_movement treats a duplicate frame as black in Mac OS

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 5 13:51:04 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3191771, was opened at 2011-02-25 01:32
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sistisette
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3191771&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: Pixes (pix_ objects)
Group: osx

Initial Comment:
Consider:

[pix_video]

[pix_movement]

Expected behavior: When pix_video produces a duplicate frame (i.e. doesn't grab a new frame), one may expect any of these two:
A - (best) pix_movement won't generate a new image
B - (acceptable) pix_movement will generate a black image since it's comparing two identical frames (actually the same frame)

Observed behavior in Linux:
- I'm almost sure it's A

Observed behavior in Mac OS:
- pix_movement treats the duplicate frame as if it was a black frame; so it will compare the current frame with a completely black frame, outputting an image with a lot of "false movement".

Not sure about Windows, I seem to remember it works fine just like in Linux; or it may be behavior B; surely not like Mac OS.

This has been known for a long time but I couldn't find it in the bug tracker and it is not fixed, so I thought I would report it.

Note that it is not just a matter of failing to detect that the new frame hasn't been grabbed. That would explain behavior B described above, flickering to black. What's happening is much wronger: duplicate frames are treated as black frames which causes the output to flicker to almost-white.

Date: 2011-04-05 13:51

Message:
I'm raising priority as this renders pix_movement almost useless in Mac OS,
and it is a pretty basic object. Hope this is ok