[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3222807 ] pix_image support for TIFF incomplete

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 6 21:32:59 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3222807, was opened at 2011-03-18 15:28
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sistisette
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3222807&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: Pixes (pix_ objects)
Group: any operating system

Initial Comment:
pix_image doesn't load certain images saved with Adobe Photoshop. The worst thing is that it doesn't print an error message and, sometimes (but not always), it even prints the success message: "threaded loaded image: xxx.tif" even if the image is not decoded.

I attach a tiff file saved with Adobe Photoshop that triggers this issue. Maybe the source of the problem is the existence in the file of a private tiff tag "37724" (Image Source Data) which is used by Photoshop. All images I tried that have this tag suffer from this issue. Unfortunately if you open one such image with Photoshop and save it again, there seems not to be any way to get rid of this tag (nor to know about its existance). Note that a lot of people use Photoshop under Mac or Windows to edit or create image files.
However I created other images from scratch with Photoshop myself and they didn't suffer from this problem (and they don't seem to have that tag). I don't know what determines whether Photoshop includes this tag or not in the saved image.

Anyway, as far as I understand (which is not very far) the presence of an unknown tag shouldn't be a reason for not being able to decode an image.

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2011-04-06 21:32

Message:
With 0.92.3 the issue does exist on all platform (well on Linux, Windows
and Mac OS).

I don't know if the fix you mention is supposed to fix it for Windows and
Mac OS too.

Comment By: IOhannes m zmölnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2011-04-06 21:19

Message:
i believe the problem is fixed for ImageMagick loading code (as used e.g.
on linux) with rev3906

if you encounter the same problem on other platforms (esp. w32) please
reopen this report