[GEM-dev] trying to access idc1394 camera parameter

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 14 08:40:54 CEST 2011

On 04/13/2011 08:30 PM, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> Hi Iohannes,
>
> Thanks a lot for thoses tips.
>
> Since this morning I succeed to make my cam work and to control gain and
> shutter.
> Unfortunately, the code is very ugly and I didn't use the Properties to hold
> the features of the cam.
> I just intercept 'set shutter <value>' or 'set gain <value>' messages and
> set the corresponding feature.
> It's not very useful, but it's enougth for us :-)

though i don't know exactly what you do when "intercepting", it feels
like this is exactly the reason why the entire properties stuff came
into being: allow various devices have a consistent behavior without
touching the object the user interacts with (pix_video): in the past
those objects have continued to accumulate highly specific messages,
which are guaranteed to not work for about 95% of the users.

> Moreover, I had some troubles with my Sony XCD-V60 camera.
> This cam is IIDC compliant but can sent grey images in 16 bit resolution.
> And in the openDevice method, the loop that set the video mode is very
> similar to the example provided with libdc1394 ;-) but there is no condition
> about the color coding and the loop took the
> DC1394_VIDEO_MODE_640x480_MONO16 by default and I think we don't have any
> possibilities to set it in PD. With this , the capture setup failed and i

if you mean, we don't have the possibilities to use a 16bit greyscale
video in Gem right away, then yes.

> can't get any image from the camera by default...
> I just add a test on color coding and get the best one on
> DC1394_VIDEO_MODE_640x480_MONO8 just like in the example ;-);

the problem is obviously that the "best" image is very much depending on
the use case.
in some applications a 1024x768 greyscale image might be preferred over
a 640x480 color image, in others it might be the other way round.

the use should have the possibility to choose what they think it is
best, and they should be able to do so without having to recompile.

> Well, just to say that I have what I need for now, but it will be very very
> appreciated that all of those things will be implemented soon. I don't think
> i will have time to spent on this in before easter so it's up to you !

well, i would say: you should feel free to spend some time in it after
easter as well :-)

fgamdsr
IOhannes