[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3292406 ] pix_snap help patch

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 24 15:25:30 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3292406, was opened at 2011-04-24 12:56
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sistisette
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3292406&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: documentation
Group: any operating system

Initial Comment:
According to pix_snap's help patch, one would expect that all you need to have pix_snap take a snapshot is to send it a "snap" message at an arbitrary moment, but that won't work.

The only way it works, is to send it the snap message just before the gemlist (0 ligical time before), i.e. with a [t a b]. This should definitely be mentioned in the help patch.

The current help patch gives no clue that the attached example test_snap.pd won't work and that in order to make it work you need to do like shown in attached test_snap_2.pd

The attached file snap_bare_minimum.pd shows the bare minimum (i think) which is needed to succesfully take a snapshot and I think something like this should be shown in the help patch.

By the way it would also be worth mentioning that a bang works as a synonim of "snap", though many will guess that.

Date: 2011-04-24 15:25

Message:
That's what I meant, that the help patch misses a lot of information. I
didn't mean to imply that pix_snap doesn't work as it should.

I am not very good with documentation prose so I don't think I can provide
an improved help patch; however I guess the scheme in the attached
snap_bare_minimum.pd could be a starting point

Comment By: Cyrille Henry (nusmuk)
Date: 2011-04-24 14:13

Message:
if you look at example 07.texture/07.feedback, you'll notice that pix_snap
work if you use [t b a] (and not only [t a b])...

if you send color 1 0 0 to the gemwin of your "test_snap.pd", you'll
notice that pix_snap does snap a red bufffer : it's because it's working.
but when you send a snap message when Gem did not draw an image, the buffer
is empty...
That is certainly why the help patch says that pix_snap work best in
single buffer mode (the buffer is not automatically clear).

So, i think pix_snap is working perfectly, but the help patch is clearly
missing lot's of information.

please, fell free to make a nice help patch that could replace the current
one.