[GEM-dev] compiling GEM on osx

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jun 9 20:00:35 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 07:09 PM, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
> ok my conf line is now:
> /configure
> --with-pd=/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/include/pd/
> --enable-fat-binary=i386 --without-ftgl

that reminds me: i think that the "--enable-fat-binary" flag currently
does nothing.
until this is fixed, you might have to specify "CXXFLAGS=-arch i386"

sorry for the inconvenience.

> when i run make, it still stop at the Quicktime image loader.
> running make -k twice, i have this:

i committed a small fix to imageQT that prevents it from being built on
x86_64 (sic!)

[...]
> "Gem.la" )
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

which is ok, as the total build fails because one of the targets
(imageQT) failed.
however you should have gotten a Gem.pd_darwin in your tree.

oh wait....
it says that it cannot link Gem.la!
the problems seems to be:
  - the compiler runs without the "-arch i386" flag, since the
"--enable-fat-binary" flag is ignored here; it thus produces x86_64 objects
  - the linker, however, accepts the "--enable-fat-binary" flag, and
tries to link the x86_64 objects into a i386 binary, which obivously
fails :-(

anyhow:
i tried building Gem on an OSX-10.6 machine which i have access to,
without much arch configuration (which would default to x86_64), and the
compilation succeeds (after my small fix to imageQT)
however, i cannot test the resulting binary at all (no physical access
right now), and i doubt whether it would work in a satisfactory manner,
as the window creation code is turned off on 64bit (due to the QuickTime
dependency)

building as i386 is therefore still required and you should be able to
do this by adding to the CXXFLAGS (see above).

hope this helps.

fgamsr