[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3316318 ] pix_film crash

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 14 20:03:30 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3316318, was opened at 2011-06-14 17:49
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by zmoelnig
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3316318&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: Pixes (pix_ objects)
Group: linux

Initial Comment:
pix_film systematically crashes Pd when I open the attached video (and a few similar ones)

This happens after upgrading Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 10.10 and installing the Pd Extended 0.42.5 package for ubuntu 10.10.

Thid didn\'t happen with the package for Ubuntu 10.04 on Ubuntu 10.04, though it seems to be the same version of GEM (0.92.3).

These are MOV files encoded with jpeg.

Oh sh*** I can't attach the file because it's bigger than 256k

I'll upload it somewhere else and post a link
EM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.92.3
GEM: compiled: Sep 22 2010
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :	Mark Danks (original version)
GEM:		Chris Clepper
GEM:		Cyrille Henry
GEM:		IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: with help by Guenter Geiger, Daniel Heckenberg, James Tittle, Hans-Christop Steiner, et al.
GEM: found a bug? miss a feature? please report it:
GEM: 	homepage http://gem.iem.at/
GEM: 	bug-tracker http://sourceforge.net/projects/pd-gem/
GEM: compiled for SIMD architecture: MMX
GEM: using MMX optimization

Date: 2011-06-14 20:03

Message:
which CVS are you referring to? libquicktime's?

here (debian wheezy/sid), i can play your file fine with both lqtplay and
Gem (though i have also libgmerlin-avdec backend)

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2011-06-14 19:41

Message:
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the latest version of libquicktime from
CVS is equally broken :(

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2011-06-14 19:19

Message:
hmm well, actually i don't really know which version of libquicktime is
broken (and which is not), only that _some_ versions are (and unfortunately
some of those are shipped with ubuntu)
so you ought to find out which libquicktime is working and then install
that via apt :-(

maybe there is a "backport" from a more recent version of libquicktime to
your distro, but i don't know (and looking at packages.ubuntu.com, it seems
that maverick and natty provide virtually the same version of
libquicktime)

btw, you could update your bugreport at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libquicktime/+bug/714637

as for using other backends: with gem-0.92 there is no way to permanently
disable a certain backend (starting with 0.93 you can just uninstall the
defending backend(s))

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2011-06-14 19:01

Message:
Wow, indeed lqtplay can't play them.

Thank so much. Do you know how I can get back the working libquicktime? Or
can I have gem use another backend?

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2011-06-14 18:54

Message:
can "lqtplay" play these videos
i have the feeling this is the re-current problem with a broken
libquicktime shipped with debian/ubuntu

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)