[GEM-dev] compiling GEM on osx

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jun 18 11:00:06 CEST 2011

On 06/17/2011 08:17 PM, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:

>> do you _have_ a working gem_filmDarwin backend? that's the preferred way
>> to load films on OSX.
> I don't know, I've tried to create [pix_movieDarwin] but it fails, how
> can I test that?

oh, forget [pix_movieDarwin].

the current idea is:
- - there is only a single [pix_film] (or [pix_movie]) object.
- - various backends are provided using a plugin system.
- - there are plugins for e.g gmerlin (called "gem_filmGMERLIN.so"), for
'QuickTime' ("gem_filmQT.so", this is what used to be [pix_filmQT] and
is mainly for w32), for 'Darwin' ("gem_filmDarwin.so"; this is QuickTime
as well, but it's what was used for [pix_filmDarwin]).

so you should make sure that you have the "Darwin"-backend ==
"gem_filmDarwin.so" in your path.
then [pix_film] should give you a line like "pix_film:: Darwin support".

you could have both gem_filmDarwin.so and gem_filmQT.so in your path,
and Gem will try each backends until it finds one that is able to open
the file.
> it may be related to special lines when recompiling, lots of:
> running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh /bin/sh ./configure
> --with-pd=/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/include/pd/
> --without-ftgl CXXFLAGS=-arch i386 --no-create --no-recursion
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."
> "./.." "./../.."
> make[3]: *** [config.status] Error 1
>
> trying to reconfigure gives me:
> CXXFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure
> --with-pd=/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/include/pd/
> --without-ftgl
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."
> "./.." "./../.."
>
> is it normal?

well it's not "normal", but it is expected.
again i did some more cleanups and removed some leftover files that are
generated by autotools, namely "install.sh" and "Base/config.h.in".

i hope this was the last major change here (but who knows...)

so in order to get it to compile again, do:

$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./config.state --recheck
$ ./config.state
$ make