[GEM-dev] FTGL on OSX (was Re: compiling GEM on osx)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Jun 21 00:13:31 CEST 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:00 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-06-14 14:07, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
>> Le 14/06/11 12:46, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>>> so i tried to build Gem on OSX using a static version of FTGL and
>>> eventually succeeded.
>>> i wrote everything down in the FAQ [1].
>> ok cool, i'll try that as soon as I have time.
>>> short summary: build freetype&  ftgl as (multiarch and) _static_.
>>> and
>>> install. then link Gem against it.
>> just for the information, i thought to build statically on osx, one
>> has
>> to link against the *.a lib like:
>> "/usr/local/lib/libftgl.a" instead of "-lftgl"
>> but in your code you use the second way.
>> Is there another way of linking statically
>
> it should work in my case, since i explicitely built freetype and ftgl
> as static-only (--disable-shared); so there is no libftgl.dylib
> anywhere
> to be found and thus the linker will be forced to do static linking.
>
> otoh, i just noticed that my built failed again (at least, the binary
> was not useable)
> tweaking around with the .la files can fix the problem, but of course
> this is no real solution.
>
> otoh, if you build freetype and FTGL like normal (enabling (or: not
> disabling) the building of a shared lib), the "-lftgl -lfreetype"
> should
> work fine
> however, this will make your Gem depend on freetype/FTGL being
> installed
> on the target system (which might be ok for your machine, but is
> suboptimal for distributable binaries)
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

If you are going to be building Gem on OSX more than once, I highly
recommend using Fink for all of your dependencies.  They are already
inlcuded in Fink, its much easier than managing it yourself, and Pd-
extended has been building Gem against Fink for years.  I also
maintain some of the relevant packages, so if things need fixing, I
can do it.

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/browse.php?maintainer=Hans-Christoph%20Steiner

You can even download the whole /sw dir of the PdLab build farm Fink
installs:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MacOSX106X8664
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Macosx104I386

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White