[GEM-dev] more mingwoes32

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Aug 2 18:18:10 CEST 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 5:09 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-08-01 17:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Oh well, sounds like its there already.  I was just searching the
>> libtool docs for 'run-paths'.  Does the build system think its making
>> something other that .DLLs?  As far as I know, Windows DLLs don't
>> have
>> any sense of their path, you can load them from anywhere. This is in
>> contrast to .a or Mac OS X .dylibs files.
>
> so: building on w32 is (like always) a bit more complicated than in
> the
> rest of the world.
> afaics, there are several problems we are facing right now:
>
> - - the autobuild currently fails with "libtool: link: only absolute
> run-paths are allowed"; according to a bit of googling, it seems like
> this is indeed a problem with "prefix" not being an absolute path.
> would
> it do any harm, to set PREFIX to a(n absolute) value, rather than
> set it
> to ""?

Yes, it wouldn't put the files in the right place.  These settings are
used on Mac OS X and it works.  One thing that might make sense is to
not set prefix in ./configure but only when running make.

> - - my builds currently don't produce .dll's, mainly because of
> unresolved
> symbols; either we have to add "-no-undefined" to the LDFLAGS on
> w32, or
> we need some more explicit linking (against pd.lib), to resolve all
> those symbols. i'm just waiting for the build to finish, to see
> whether
> the former (and simpler solution) is sufficient.

--no-undefined seems fine for now, but my guess is that it'll bite in
the long run.

> - - with my builds (in msys), i currently have to exclude
> scopeXYZ~.cpp,
> as the tilde in the filename confuses libtool, producing illegal
> commands and thus fails the build process. otoh, it seems like this
> works fine in the autobuilds, so it might be simply a problem of msys
> itself.

That's an odd one.  The auto-builds are run in the msys sh, see
scripts/auto-build/run-automated-build.bat:

C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe --login -i -c /home/pd/auto-build/pd-extended/
scripts/auto-build/run-automated-builder

.hc