[GEM-dev] gem and openCL

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Thu Aug 25 13:34:40 CEST 2011

hello,

Antoine and I are very interested on the cuda for Gem work that we saw on the pd conv.
But the main problem is that cuda is nvidia limited. OpenCL does not have this limitation, so we think it's a better choice.

Antoine successfully made openCL example as a Gem object.
but we are wondering how to create a generic object.
OpenCL allow to deal with diferent type that are not really implemented in Gem (VBO by example, 3d texture), nor in openGL (boolean texture).

I don't really like the solution to have :
- ocl_vbo object that allow to create and use a vbo
- ocl_3dtexture for 3d texture rendering
- ocl_bool_texture ...

So, did anyone have an idea about what should be done?

thanks
Cyrille