[GEM-dev] switching to git

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Aug 28 17:59:42 CEST 2011

hi all,

in the last year (or so), i have changed my personal development
workflow over the last year or so, to almost exclusively use git as the
version control system.
Gem development has been done in git as well, with only an occasional
push to the SVN repository.

this has somehow worked, but it left lots of things to be desired, and
left me with a number of problems (most recently a branching/tagging
dance for the 0.93 releases).

git has a number of really nice features that i use, most prominently
that i can commit unstable code and only push it to the main development
branch once it is finished, but still keeping all the commit history.
another nice feature is, that i can work at home (where i don't have
internet) and still commit regularily.
it's quite easy to simlutaneously try things out on multiple machines,
without polluting the public repository.
branching and merging is trivial.
patches by 3rd party (e.g.: you!) can keep the full authorship and log
information.

and finding regression bugs is made super easy by tools like "git bisect".

given that i am the one who writes most to the repository, i did not
raise a real discussion about this topic but rather silently decided to
officially switch from subversion to git.

in the future i will try to not update the SVN anymore, and instead only
work in git.
if you want to track my changes (or commit yourself), please use these URLs

read only:
	git://pd-gem.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pd-gem/Gem
read/write
	ssh://USER@pd-gem.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pd-gem/Gem

(with USER being your sourceforge username)

i hope this is fine for everybody.

gfmasdr