[GEM-dev] multiple video input streams became very slow after update

Jack jack at rybn.org
Fri Sep 16 18:20:22 CEST 2011

Le 16/09/2011 14:04, Harrie Hoogeveen a écrit :
> Hello again,
>
> I come to ask for help again, because I am getting desperate.
> I tried so many things, al version from 0.92.2 and up, and SVN build.
> I have tried compiling these with only gmerlin or quicktime or mpeg
> but all are not streaming 2 v4l devices at the same time. With or
> without sse2 or mmx does not seem to matter.
> It is a simple construction of two pix_video -> texture -> 3Dobject.
> And they seem not to be able to stream at the same time.
> I am sure it is not the streams, cause I can run more then 3 streams
> and play all of them at the same time through the vloopback device
> with xawtv. Only within pure data they seem to switch on each other.
> Like a semaphore, just one at the time plays the others freeze.
> All opengl, glew and direct rendering is there and working.
> And it should be working for sure: http://vimeo.com/20685278
> What can I be doing wrong?
> Has anyone a suggestion in which corner to look or how to trace the
> problem?
>
> I know I should hit my self in the head for not making a backup of my
> working binary's and will next time.
>
> Regards,
> Harrie
>

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Harrie Hoogeveen
> <harrie.hoogeveen at gmail.com <mailto:harrie.hoogeveen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I work with a patch where I read 3 video streams from v4l devices,
>     created with the vloopback kernel module.
>     These 3 streams are mapped on 3D objects wich I contol using midi.
>     After updating to the latest Gem release this became very slow.
>     They seem to play only one stream at the time.
>     So fist object 1 plays for a sec or two, than stops and then
>     object 2 starts playing for a sec or two, stops, an then object 3
>     and back to 1 again.
>     I tested with only one stream, this works fine, but as soon as I
>     open 2, they start to switch in playtime again.
>     I tried down grading to 0.92.3, which was the stable when I
>     designed this patch, but the result is the same.
>     If I test the v4l stream with for example VLC the stream runs smooth.
>
>     I run pdextended 0.42.5 on a linux system with kernel 2.8.37
>     (after that vloopback is not supported anymore, cause it needs the
>     v4l compat. support kernel option.)
>     The video streams are generated with LiVES 1.4.4. It supports the
>     vlooback output options. It is a UYV clamped stream, 280 pix wide:
>
>     *** Using vloopback plugin for fs playback, agreed to use palette type 519 ( UYVY:Y'CbCr (clamped) ).
>
>     I run this patch on intel with 6 cores and nvida card.
>
>     What could be the cause that just one stream at the time plays in GEM?
>
>     Regards,
>     Harrie

I don't know exactly what you do, but if you use stream, you can take a
look at pdgst. Pdgst is GStreamer for Pure Data (and Gem). So you can
use it for video loopback. Have a look on this list for more information
about pdgst.
However the behavior that you report with vloopback seems strange, i
never had problem with Gem video object using different streams.
Maybe a problem with videoV4L plug-in ?
++

Jack