[GEM-dev] using logpost(3) for version message

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 27 21:37:20 CEST 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 3:05 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-09-27 02:39, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I think that Pd should startup with a blank Pd window, just like a
>> blank
>> canvas.  The new log levels makes this easy to accomplish.  Gem is
>> the
>> last library in Pd-extended that still uses post() for its version
>> message.  I propose using the new 0.43 logpost(NULL, 3, "Gem
>> version);.
>> Then by default, the Pd window is blank, but people can easily see
>> all
>> the version posts if they want to.
>
> i don't see a point in using logpost() as is, for two reasons:
> - - logpost() is there since 0.43, i want the Gem binaries to work
> on 0.42
> and possibly 0.41
> this is not a big problem for PdX, where you ensure that the pd binary
> is accompanied by "matching" externals, but it is a problem if you
> distribute binary builds of the external.

This can easily support any Pd version with an #ifdef, I'll add that.

> - - logpost() is mainly there to post verbose information that is
> attached
> to an object. the Gem version is not attached to any object.

I wrote logpost() to do both.  Just set the object to NULL and it just
posts.

> apart from that, i don't see much harm done in seeing a 10 line
> splashscreen.
> on the contrary, i really think that people should be made aware that
> they have loaded Gem.
> and people could use a lower log level to suppress these messages.
>
> but feel free to report a feature request.

It is a specific complaint I have heard from many people starting out
with Pd.  They find it intimidating and confusing that the first thing
they see is a window full of text that they don't understand.  That's
one reason.  Another reason affects all Pd users, when you hit File-
 >New, you get a blank window.  Following this tradition in Pd, the Pd
window should also start out blank, unless there is an error.  The new
log window allows the best of both worlds, just change to log level 3
if you want to see all the version messages. And log level 2, you only
see important messages.

The only disadvantage that I can see is that there will be a little
#ifdef in the code, but I am sure Gem has many, so this is a small
thing.  I'm about to submit a patch, look for it in the pd-gem tracker.