[GEM-dev] using logpost(3) for version message

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 28 15:05:08 CEST 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:12 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-09-27 21:37, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> and possibly 0.41
>>> this is not a big problem for PdX, where you ensure that the pd
>>> binary
>>> is accompanied by "matching" externals, but it is a problem if you
>>> distribute binary builds of the external.
>>
>> This can easily support any Pd version with an #ifdef, I'll add that.
>
> i'm talking about runtim compatibility, not compile time
> compatibility.
> an #ifdef patch will most likely not going to make it before Pd-0.45
>
> (there might be some old code in Gem that indeed uses #ifdef for these
> kind of things but i want to make it fade out (unless the Pd-version
> tested for has been there for a number of years)

Ah, I see.  Are there any runtime tests for the Pd version in Gem?

>>> - - logpost() is mainly there to post verbose information that is
>>> attached
>>> to an object. the Gem version is not attached to any object.
>>
>> I wrote logpost() to do both.  Just set the object to NULL and it
>> just
>> posts.
>
> i thought i did :-), but indeed this is your work.
>
> nevertheless, verbose() offers the same functionality as
> logpost(NULL,)
> and works with older version of pd.

I'm perfectly happy if you want to use verbose() instead of
logpost().  I didn't use it because I can't remember what level it
posts at, there is something about +4.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli