[GEM-dev] getting latest Gem into Pd-extended

Ricardo Fabbri rfabbri at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 23:01:43 CEST 2011

Hello Hans and IOhannes,

As far as Pd development goes, I am mostly interested in Gem-related
code, yes. So I can be of help.  Feel free to ask me for stuff, I will
tell you if I have time for it. My colleagues are having build
troubles with Gem, so I am motivated to help out on that as well.

Personally I really like the fact that Gem is in Git now. But that's
not from a build-maintainer's point of view, but from a developer's.

During my development work, in all projects I participate I don't like
to maintain binary packages for any other system than Linux. That's
because my help can only be more effective in the environment I use
and am familiar with.

If Hans wants to guide me through things, perhaps we could schedule
some time in #dataflow to go through these rusty build scripts and I
can help with that, as it also helps me get really familiar with the
source code. Note, again, that I have little motivation to deal with
systems other than Linux (Mac OS, so-so, but for Windows we would need
to rely on other voluntaries). But I can think about other systems
minimally, of course, such as when writing portable code. It is
maintaining binaries that I don't really think I am capable of alone.

Iohannes - I will definitely work on Gem-related developent during
this week. I can help you out and, since I already went through a
selection process in pd-extended, perhaps you can trust my help. If
you need, I can put myself at your disposal, as time permits. Even
when you don't have much time to guide me, providing minimal pointers
for any task at hand should be enough.

Best regards,
Ricardo Fabbri
Linux registered user #175401