[GEM-dev] Gem and Optimus

Menno van der Woude mennowo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:47:14 CET 2011

Here I am on Ubuntu 11.10, 64 bits. My laptop has a Nvidia Geforce
GT540M card with 2gb. Gem (built from the source) runs without
trouble, using both optirun and not using optirun. I have ironhide
installed here, which supersedes bumblebee (at least it says it does).
Running the "ironhide-enablecard" command does respond 'Enabling
nVidia Card Succeeded'. Also glgears etc work just fine.

I am however unsure whether the nVidia card is really enabled, because
sending [print< to [gemwin] responds saying it uses Mesa DRI Intel etc
as a renderer. Gem also prints many extensions which are loaded. I am
curious if the nVidia card is or is not used, how I can I check this?
Or is the gemwin>print message the final verdict?

Bye, menno