[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3195435 ] pix_film prints an error msg if frame <0 but not if = 0

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 5 11:00:57 CET 2011

Bugs item #3195435, was opened at 2011-02-28 12:00
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by zmoelnig
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=3195435&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: Pixes (pix_ objects)
Group: any operating system

Initial Comment:
This is a very minor issue, however...

The right inlet of [pix_film] accepts a frame number which ranges from 1 to N if the video has N frames.

If it receives a negative frame number, it prints an error message:
  error: [pix_film]: selection number must be > 0

To be consistent, it should print the same error message when it receives 0 as the frame number, but it doesn't.

Indeed I thing the condition is actually that the frame be >=1 (consider floats!)

Also I would suggest to specify in the help patch that the frame numbers start from 1 (unless I am the only one who would expect it to start from 0)

Date: 2011-12-05 02:00

Message:
i agree that it should be consistent.
i also agree that the frames should range from 0..(N-1) rather than 1..N?
i even think that for (most?) backends the frame number ranges from
0..(N-1).

does the problem still exist with Gem-0.93?

(minor sidenote: the error message says indeed that the frame number must
be ">0" but the check is done whether it is "!<0", so this should be ok)