[GEM-dev] help files update - git

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Dec 6 17:23:41 CET 2011

On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:54 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-12-05 20:06, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
>> Hello Iohannes / list,
>>
>> I've worked on a few help files. It was mainly help files that were not
>> in the Gem format.
>> I've done that using git.
>>
>> You can find them here:
>> git at github.com:nixhol/Gem.git
>> the name of the branch is:
>> help-files
>>
>> I've cloned the Gem sourceforge repository, then i've created a branch,
>> worked on the files, and then i've pushed my modifs on my github
>> repository.
>> Is this the good workflow for contributing to Gem using git? or do you
>> prefer another way?
>
> yes, i think this is the best way to contribute to Gem.
> i incorporated your fixes and pushed to sourceforge.
>
> i'm not yet sure whether it is best to _merge_ your branch into master
> or to _rebase_ it onto master.
> for know i prefer a rebase (if possible), but if that makes problems for
> somebody i could do merges as well.

IMHO, if the model is IOhannes as sole committer to the Gem git, and people doing work on their own git forks, then I think that rebasing is the best option.  The Linux-style flow here is that the git forks should rebase to be on the HEAD of the main git before submitting the changes.

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne